Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Looking Back on the Memories

Well, as I sit here in my college dorm room I wonder where all of the months, days, and hours have gone. Am I really down to the last three days of my sophomore year of college? This is the last time I will ever be living in the oh so luxurious dorm room, and this is the last time I will be dining off of my tiger card meal plan. I have grown so much as a person and have learned so much along the way. From doing my own laundry, and taking out mounds of trash, I would not have traded this experience for anything else. Of course college has not been a walk in the park for me as it is for some other people. It all started my freshman year when my roommates were viciously yelling at me and saying some of the most hurtful things that have ever been sad to my face. From that point on I felt lost and hopeless in the college town and contemplated about transferring to a local college near my house. Just about every girl that seemed to be a potential friend was in a sorority, and I was not. One of my biggest regrets when I came to college was not going trough recruitment. Coming from a family from the north, greek life was not popular and I was clueless. I made my way into a new dorm room by myself and I was hesitant. It was extremely lonely and I had no one to share my awkward freshman moments with. While living on the first floor I found my home at Auburn with a bunch of girls who actually cared and I have never received friendship such as that before. The rest of my freshman year was amazing and I even got my first 4.0! Now as I am coming down to my last days of being a sophomore, I wish I was still a freshman. I miss the strong friendships that were present and I miss the laughter that was constant throughout the year. Don't get me wrong, this year was just as wonderful, there is just something missing this year. I decided to join a sorority and go through recruitment while being the dreaded sophomore. Recruitment was .... rough. I did not get into the sorority I wanted and I was embarrassed to be in the one I got a bid to. I took it personally, and felt as if there was something seriously wrong with me. How did I go from being the captain of the varsity cheerleading team, to being in a low tier sorority. It wasn't the end of the world so I continued my journey of being a sophomore. This year has had so many obstacles and achievements that have made it become a roller coaster. I did not get into the elementary education cohort I wanted. It was hard for me to find a place in my sorority, and I will admit that I am still struggling to find a group of girls that will accept who I am. Some of my friendships have not been as strong. I give one hundred and ten percent into every relationship I have, and I just do not get it in return. It kills me. On the other hand, I have had some of the best experiences. My college won the national championship, War Eagle! Our quarterback won the Heisman trophy and, I have had the opportunities to do things I never would have if I had transferred my freshman year. I am excited to see what my junior year will bring. I will finally be moving into an apartment with some of the most blessed girls who have the biggest hearts. I cannot wait to sit back and watch some housewives show and have a glass of wine. I mostly need to believe in myself and trust in the Lord for a future full of happiness and laughter. 

2 comments:

  1. You have made a great decision to stay at Auburn. It will be something that will become a powerful and meaningful part of your life.
    I graduated from Auburn, met my husband here, and moved back here after 20 years away.
    Mean girls are everywhere you go. Don't give in to them and never become one and you will be fine :O) WAR EAGLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an Education major too but a year ahead. I'll be a senior in the fall and student teaching in the Spring. I can also relate to having difficulty finding my place at my school I'd love to hear more about your experiences in studying elementary ed. :) I hope your junior year is awesome!

    ReplyDelete